Thursday, July 22, 2010

American Girl Doll skirt and Top

Yesterday was one of my niece's birthday and I thought I'd make her a dress for her American Girl doll. I didn't have a pattern, a doll or any measurements so the dress turned out more for like a Barbie doll :-) After my first attempt, I decided to look for some ideas online.


So today, I made her this set of skirt and top. Not my favorite fabric to work with (chiffon/silk), but it turned out really cute. I think she will like it! I'm thinking about making a tutu for her doll as well.


I also cut out the pattern for 5 dolls that I have pending for the Haiti dolly drive. I'm hoping to be able to finish those by this weekend. I really want to focus on my dolly drive. I might send my next batch to Ethiopia in September. I'm waiting on someone to get back to me. If not, I might take them to an Orphanage back home (Dominican Republic or Colombia). I also met this wonderful lady that just got back from a Mission trip in Liberia and she is going back next summer on another mission. I told her I wanted to send dolls with her so she is thrilled about the idea. She adopted two kids from there four years ago and they went back this summer to visit the kids family and friends. I love hearing stories like that!!!

4 comments:

  1. That skirt set is adorable. Your niece is going to LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the design and colors of the first dress you did. Is that tulle along the bottom? I've never worked with it. How do you make it into a ruffle?

    Did you end up using a pattern from online for the second outfit? I bet chiffon would be really challenging to work with. Let me know if you want measurements and I'll measure my daughters' dolls for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Shari, that is tulle! I just cut a long strip of tulle of about 2" and did a gathering stitch in the middle and gathered it together. For the second outfit, I used a McCalls pattern for the skirt and I did a pillowcase dress style for the top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow que chuleria, aqui tengo a Amber y Sabrina gritando como unas loca, por las cositas tan linda. Bueno ahora solo tienes que darte rapido y enviarlo....lol

    Muchisisimas gracias son una bellesa!!!!! te la comiste loca..jajaja
    Darina Estrella

    ReplyDelete